Deva, Basque Country, Spain
Deva in Spanish, Deba in the Basque language, is a town in the province of Guipúzcoa, where the Deva river flows into the Bay of Biscaya. 43°17'43@N 2°21'00@V.
Located aprox. 40 km of San Sebastian and 60 km from Bilbao, the town has 5.445 inhabitants and an area of 51.54 sq.km.
The landscape is spectacular, with magnificent coastline and a broad beach, popular with the tourists.
The town is on the pilgrimage road to Santiago de Compostella.
On the current place of the town there are traces of paleolithic age remnants, and Roman chronicles mention the river Deva which will lend its name to the township. The toponym is indo-european.
At the end of the 13th. c., Sancho the IVth of Castille signed the royal decree settling the village of Itziar (one of the parts of current Deva). The port, itself called Deva, was founded in 1343.
In the 15th c. the port started a glory age lasting until the 19th. c. Today, the main activity of the locals is tourism.
Besides the beach, the town has impressive buildings of great historical value, such as the St. Mary Church (15th c.), the Aguirre Palace (15th c.) or the Consistorial (18th c.)
The landscape is spectacular, with wave-cut platforms some 8 km long, between Deva and Zemaya.
Nearby there are painted caves, such as the famous Enkaia belonging with Altamira and Lascaux in the Magdalenian period.